Code of Conduct
Last updated: 29/08/2019
ConFuzzled is a professional convention of members of the furry community (and their friends) who are friendly, respectful and open-minded. To avoid any misunderstandings about what kind of behaviour is acceptable, you are required to read and follow this code of conduct. Please keep in mind that these rules apply throughout the convention, including on early arrival and late departure days.
Registration and Badges
- You must be at least 18 years old by the time of your arrival at ConFuzzled.
- Only registered attendees may enter convention space. ConFuzzled has exclusive use of the hotel function space, and the hotel reserves the right to decline access or ask any persons not registered for the event to leave at any time.
- Non-residential badge holders must leave the hotel after the end of the last event in the evening.
- You are required to wear your badge prominently at all times, so that you can be identified and recognised as a member of the convention.
- If you are in fursuit, it is acceptable to carry your badge in a pocket or have your handler carry it on your behalf for costuming reasons, but you should be able to produce the badge at any time if asked.
- Changing, or covering up, any information on your badge (e.gg. by using stickers or drawings) is strictly forbidden.
- ConFuzzled badges are non-transferable. It is strictly prohibited to lend your badge to another person to allow them access to convention space. If caught, this will result in an immediate ejection from the convention for both parties, and a possible future ban from ConFuzzled.
- Pretending to be a registered attendee is strictly prohibited. If caught, this will result in an immediate ejection from the convention, and a possible future ban from ConFuzzled.
- We request that you do not wear lanyards or badges which could be mistaken for ConFuzzled Staff, Crew or Welfare team members. If observed wearing such items you will be asked to remove them.
- ConFuzzled does not accept any liability resulting from lost room keys. If you have lost your room key please contact the hotel reception immediately.
- Treat others respectfully. Appropriate and respectful behaviour is expected at all times.
- We have a zero tolerance policy of abusive behaviour towards ConFuzzled and Hilton staff. Abusive behaviour will result in an immediate ejection from the convention and the hotel grounds, and you will be subject to a future ban from ConFuzzled
- If you are not sure whether somebody wants to be hugged, touched, tackled, or pounced, please ask them first.
- ‘No’ means no. ‘Stop’ means stop. ‘Go away’ means go away. This is not open to discussion.
- We reserve the right to ask you to turn down music (e.g. from Bluetooth speakers) or quieten down your activities if you are causing a disturbance to other guests. Repeated breaches may result in further action from convention security which could lead to a formal warning, ejection from the convention, and possible future bans from ConFuzzled.
Clothing and Decency
- ConFuzzled reserves the right to ask attendees to remove costumes, accessories or items of clothing that may cause offense to other attendees, hotel staff and/or members of the general public.
- ConFuzzled reserves the right to ask attendees to remove any imagery or material that may cause offense to other attendees, hotel staff and/or members of the general public. This includes, but is not limited to: room signs, flyers, business cards, posters and drawings on public message boards.
- Wearing, displaying or trading costumes, accessories or other items made out of real fur is strictly forbidden.
- Nudity, and/or the wearing of suggestive clothing, are considered inappropriate in public spaces.
- Actions of sexual behaviour are not permitted in public.
- It is not permitted to display any sign, symbol or clothing that bears resemblance to (or is commonly associated with) any organisation, party or political ideology that generally causes offence.
- ConFuzzled requires attendees to not enter public areas while wearing costumes or items of clothing that are construed as being inappropriate, and reserves the right to request attendees to remove such items. The definition of inappropriate can be considered as, but not limited to:
- No visibly “anatomically correct” costumes;
- No visibly sexually modified costumes;
- No inflatable costumes that are sexually explicit, or that could be construed as sexually explicit and/or fetish related.
- Some items used in age-play, pet-play, or bondage may be acceptable by themselves or when used as an accessory to a costume. However, it is entirely ConFuzzled’s right to define the limits of acceptable use, and attendees may be asked to remove items that are deemed unacceptable. For example, the following inexhaustive list could be considered as acceptable items:
- Accessories used in a non-sexualised context, such as a dog harness that is part of a sled dog costume;
- Collars without a leash attached;
- Leather wristbands without a D-ring;
- Pacifiers worn around the neck, but not actively used.
- If in doubt, contact security and ask. This can be done before the convention by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or during the convention at the Security office or Con-Ops office.
Alcohol, Intoxication, and Other Drugs
The hotel is a licensed premises under UK law. As such the following rules apply.
- You are expected to drink responsibly.
- You will be held liable for what you say and what you do, even if intoxicated.
- If you appear to be intoxicated, the hotel staff are legally required to refuse service for further alcoholic beverages for yourself, or someone attempting to purchase on your behalf.
- The hotel reserves the right to refuse service to anyone at any time.
- Persons who are intoxicated to the point of incapacity may be escorted to their rooms or ejected from the convention.
- It is strictly prohibited to consume alcohol in public spaces which has not been purchased from the licensed premises. If caught doing so, this may result in immediate ejection from the convention, and a possible future ban to ConFuzzled.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere within the premises, except at designated smoking points.
- The use of vapes and e-cigs is prohibited within the premises, except at designated smoking points.
- ConFuzzled operates a zero-tolerance policy to the use of illegal substances. The possession, consumption or sale of such items is strictly prohibited. Attendees found in possession of such substances will be handed over to the police and may be banned from the convention. It is your responsibility as a guest to be aware of local laws and regulations.
- The abuse of any other substance as a drug (such as nitrous oxide, alkyl nitrites (“Poppers”), glue, “legal highs” etc.) will not be tolerated, and may result in an immediate ejection from the convention and a possible future ban from ConFuzzled.
General Hotel Rules
- The consumption of food or drink purchased outside of the hotel is not permitted in the hotel’s public spaces.
- It is strictly forbidden to throw, drop or push any objects out of windows, from balconies, galleries or similar parts of the building. Anyone doing so will be ejected from the convention, and may receive a future ban from ConFuzzled.
- Attendees may not enter the service areas of the hotel, or “Staff Only” areas of the convention space. This includes all backstage areas, service elevators, the rooftops, emergency exits (unless in an emergency), and all areas marked as “Staff Only”.
- Tampering with any fire-protection devices – in particular, disabling smoke-detectors or maliciously triggering fire doors or alarms – is illegal, therefore prohibited. Anyone caught doing so will be immediately ejected from the convention, with liability for any damages or associated costs and a possible future ban from ConFuzzled.
- If you wish to wear body paint, costume paint or make-up, you are solely responsible for any damages caused as a result of transference.
- Do not deliberately crack open glow-sticks or similar items containing dyes, sticky residue, or corrosive material.
- It is not allowed to use glow-sticks as “poi” (i.e. by spinning them at the end of strings).
- The sale of any kind of merchandise outside the ConFuzzled-sanctioned trading spaces (e.g. the official Dealers’ Den) requires explicit permission from the ConFuzzled Board of Directors. It is the seller’s responsibility to be aware of local laws and regulations.
- It is permitted to bring a pet to ConFuzzled. However, you must notify both ConFuzzled and the hotel in advance, and purchase a Pet Passport where required.
- The hotel sits within the Birmingham Airport flight restriction zone, and as such drones and UAVs are strictly forbidden from being used.
- You are liable for any damage you cause to the hotel and/or convention property.
- Fursuits and furry accessories are strictly prohibited from the executive lounge.
Hotel Rooms and Privacy
- You are expected to treat the hotel rooms and property of the hotel reasonably, and with care. You are liable for any charges related to damage, or excessively dirty rooms that may require specialist cleaning and/or repairs.
- It is strictly prohibited to allow non-residential attendees to sleep and/or stay overnight in your hotel room or party suite. Failure to comply may result in immediate ejection from the convention, and a possible future ban to ConFuzzled, for both parties.
- If you do not wish for your room to be serviced, please ensure the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign is hung on your door.
- You may contact housekeeping to arrange fresh towels and linen if required. Please ask hotel staff, or refer to the hotel welcome letter for more information at the convention.
- It is hotel policy for the cleaning staff to check inside a room if it has not been cleaned for over 2 days, to ensure a guest has not suffered a misfortune.
- We request you make use of provided refuse sacks to dispose of any rubbish.
- You must not disturb people in any other hotel rooms.
- We politely request you are mindful of your noise levels after midnight. The convention and/or the hotel reserves the right to take further action against any guest found to be making excessive noise or causing a disturbance. This may result in immediate ejection from the convention, and a possible future ban from ConFuzzled.
- Additional policies and rules may apply at the Crowne Plaza. Please refer to their terms and conditions for further information.
Hotel Pool and Sauna
- The hotel pool and associated facilities (sauna, steam room etc) may only be used while wearing appropriate swimwear.
- Please be considerate of other pool users, and obey any directions from the lifeguards and pool staff as well as all instructional signage.
- To use pool toys you should first seek permission from a LivingWell member of staff.
- Entering the LivingWell center in fursuit is strictly prohibited.
- To avoid cultural misunderstandings, please make yourself familiar with local sauna customs and read the instructions posted in the wellness area.
- For photography within the swimming pool area, LivingWell offers a pragmatic approach to the use of cameras and other recording devices. The following rules apply:
- Photography/image recording is not permitted in changing areas, toilets, showers and beauty treatment areas including sunbeds and saunas.
- In other areas, casual photography/recording of family and friends where all parties know each other, is allowed without any written permission.
- Any other form of photography/recording is only allowed with written permission from the Hotel/General Manager.
Weapons, Imitation Weapons, and Dangerous Items
- All weapons, including imitations, replicas, tools and toy weapons, must be approved by ConFuzzled Security. To do so, please bring your weapon to the Con-Ops office or Security office.
- For detailed information on what type of weapons are generally acceptable, please refer to the official weapons guide on the ConFuzzled website.
- Mock fights, swordplay, fire breathing or any other activities that may adversely affect bystanders or hotel property are not allowed without explicit permission from ConFuzzled and written permission from the hotel. If approved this is may require a suitable risk assessment and may need to have a staff member appointed to observe the activity.
- ConFuzzled may require your weapon to be peace-bound. Tampering with or removing the peace-binding is not permitted during the convention.
- If in doubt prior to the convention, please email email@example.com for further guidance.
Photography and Videotaping
- ConFuzzled UK Ltd. grants you the right to take photographs and videos at the convention for private, non-commercial purposes only.
- Photography, filming, or taping for the purpose of sale, publication, public media, dissemination or other commercial gain (e.g. Patreon) is expressly prohibited without written permission by ConFuzzled UK Ltd’s Board of Directors.
- Photography and filming is generally allowed in all common areas of ConFuzzled UK Ltd, however, photography and filming is strictly forbidden in the Art Show, Dealers’ Den, Fursuit Lounges and at at Live Auction events.
- Areas in which attendees have a reasonable expectation for privacy are off-limits for you to record or take photographs. These include but are not limited to: toilets and changing facilities, the executive lounge, and “Staff Only” areas.
- Other restrictions or rules may apply for certain events, and will be announced on location.
- Official camera teams may record video and take photographs in the public areas of the convention, as well as during events, to be used in various official and endorsed publications such as: the ConFuzzled website, highlight videos, press releases or other promotional materials. You agree that photographs and videos taken of you can be used in such publications, without release or compensation. A release will only be required for material filmed in situations where a reasonable expectation of privacy exists.
- All journalists, media photographers, and any other members of the press are required to display an official ConFuzzled Press Badge and be accompanied by a member of ConFuzzled staff at all times while in convention space. Members of the press who have not been issued a Press Badge may not conduct interviews, take photographs, or record audio or video footage without an escort; they may also be subject to removal from the hotel grounds. Media representatives who do not have Press Badges and are not escorted by a ConFuzzled staff member should be reported to convention security or to Convention Operations immediately.
- Please do not take photographs or video of those who do not wish to be photographed. If you are asked to delete a photograph or video by someone within the footage, please respect their wishes.
- The production of material (e.g. photographs and video) which includes branding of commercial entities (e.g. Hilton Worldwide, The Crowne Plaza Hotel) must be done in accordance with their legal terms and conditions. ConFuzzled UK Ltd accepts zero responsibility for ensuring your material complies with their rules.
Brok the Badger
- ConFuzzled UK Ltd is the sole owner of Brok the Badger, and his likeness. Any use of Brok or his likeness in any medium for the purpose of sale, publication, public media, dissemination, or other commercial gain is expressly prohibited without written permission from ConFuzzled UK Ltd’s Board of Directors.
The Bottom Line…
The following general rule supersedes all other rules and may be invoked at any time:
- Any action or behaviour that causes:
- significant interference with convention operations;
- excessive discomfort to other attendees, hotel staff, and/or members of the general public; or
- adversely affects ConFuzzled’s relationship with its guests or its venues
may result in an immediate ejection from the convention, and a possible future ban from ConFuzzled.
- When in doubt, please ask – preferably before the convention starts, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We will gladly answer all your questions.
- These rules are not open to discussion during the convention.
- Decisions by the Head of Security, the Board of Directors and the hotel are final.
- The definition of unacceptable behaviour remains at the discretion of the Head of Security and the Board of Directors.